Here’s a delicious and healthy spring recipe from Alissa Glenn, LunchOwl’s health and nutrition expert.
She's your go-to-gal for any nutrition-related question. Reach Alissa at email@example.com.
Asparagus, White Bean and Quinoa Salad
Total Prep Time: 30 minutes / Active Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 with leftovers
- 1 lb asparagus, bottom 1-inch trimmed and discarded, then cut into ¾ inch slices
- 2 lemons, juice and zest
- 3 cups cooked white beans, from 2 cans or 1 cup dried
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup, about 6 ounces, grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese
- 1 tsp minced garlic, from about 1 clove
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper
- Cook the quinoa per package instructions (heat 2 cups of water to a simmer, add quinoa, cover and cook for 15 minutes until tender).
- Whisk together ¼ cup lemon juice, ½ cup EVOO, 1 tsp lemon zest, the garlic, Dijon mustard, ½ tsp salt and several grinds of fresh black pepper in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer then add the beans and asparagus. Cover and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- When the quinoa is cooked, mix it together with the asparagus and white beans in a large bowl. Stir in the parmesan cheese and serve warm or chilled.